Pointsstoppers Legal Services
CARELESS DRIVING - 6 DEMERIT POINTS
A conviction for careless driving:
is punishable by a minimum fine of $400. The maximum fine is $2,000. If you're convicted, the court also can suspend your licence for up to two years and even put you in jail for up to six months.
- 130 Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990
. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.
Aliquam lobortis leo ante, at porttitor diam porttitor ut tortor sit amet ipsum congue pulvinar non in.
Sed dapibus rhoncus metus a rutrum. Suspendisse facilisis varius mauris at varius. Nullam feugiat et velit eget vehicula. Vestibulum justo lectus, tempor ac pellentesque in, dapibus eget eros. Aenean dictum velit sit amet leo consequat, nec ultricies leo auctor! Fusce nec urna lorem.
Know Your Court
- The Ontario Court of Justice hears virtually all provincial offence matters as well as offences against municipal by-laws. Examples of such cases include:
- Highway Traffic Act charges such as speeding or traffic violations;
- Municipal by-law charges relating to excessive noise, animal control, or garbage disposal;
- Charges laid under provincial legislation such as the Environmental Protection Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Dog Owners’ Liability Act or the Trespass to Property Act.
- The tribunals of the SJTO are: Child and Family Services Review Board, Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, Custody Review Board, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, Landlord and Tenant Board, Ontario Special Education (English) Tribunal, Ontario Special Education (French) Tribunal and Social Benefits Tribunal.